That was on Saturday night at 9.30 pm, Hyderabad, India. I was watching a case study of 30 valuable minutes telecasted by one of the most popular news channel about FEMALE INFANTICIDE. This is the worse thing happening in India and china. I couldn’t control my tears when I was hearing all those dreadful facts about this. I felt blog as the best platform to drop my feelings and opinion about this maternal mortality…….
Some breathe taking facts about India and china in this issue:
1) 50 million girls and women are missing in India’s population as a result of systematic sex discrimination.
2) There have been some accusations that infanticide occurs in the People’s Republic of China due to the one-child policy. In the 1990s, a certain stretch of the Yangtze River was known to be a common site of infanticide by drowning, until government projects made access to it more difficult. Others assert that China has twenty-five million fewer girl children than expected, but sex selective abortion can partially be to blame. The illegal use of ultrasound is widespread in China, and itinerant sonographers with plain vans in parking lots offer inexpensive sonographs to determine the sex of a fetus. Recent studies suggest that over 40 million girls and women are ‘missing’ in China.
3) The Indian Medical Association estimates that five million female foetuses are aborted each year. As a result, the sex ratio in the 0 to 6 age group in some northern areas (where the craze for boys is at its worst) is amazingly skewed: 793 females for every 1,000 boys. In some areas it is 754, and in parts of Punjab and Haryana, the figure is about 600.
4) In 2005, 90 million women were estimated to be “missing” in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, India, Pakistan, South Korea and Taiwan alone, possibly due to sex-selective abortion.
Let me first jot the points which lead to this situation……..
- Poverty is the major root cause of this problem. People who are poor cant afford female child as they have to raise them, feed them, get them married and give lots and huge amounts as dowry (as in Indian tradition).
- People who can’t afford their livelihood, prefer male child as they are more strong physically than females and can help their parents in earning money by doing all possible sorts of labor work.
- Now comes the damn love inclination towards male child by in-laws and even sometimes parents. They abort the child at fetus stage which is more disgusting. Being a female themselves, both mother and mother in-law execute such a shameless step of killing a baby girl.
- In much worse cases they abandon the baby girl after the birth in the hospital or in a place where none can trace out the presence of child.
- Male children are more desirable since they provide security for the elderly, work and are important for the performance of ancestral rites.
So they feel “males more profitable than females”.
The above mentioned are very few incidences for this criminal act of people.
Few questions pop up in my mind……
Why is this kind of gender difference still existing?
Why is that only male child important to parents?
Doesn’t female love their parents as male does?
Don’t females have right to survive in this world?
Is earth a domain only for males?
Even the fetus has life. It cries and pleads their parents not to kill it and let it live. Let even it come in to this wonderful world. Let it enjoy as we guys are enjoying on earth. No religion ever says to abort female child. No god encourages such an ignorant practice. Just imagine earth without females? Is it possible for males to survive?
Nature needs balance. Both males and females are equally important in this biosphere.
I heart fully thank my parents who love me, encourage and thankfully never showed any sort of gender discrimination between me and my brother. I should even make a point to say about my brother who loves and respects me lots…. 🙂